Re: GSoC 2017 - pdepe/bvp4c solvers

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017 - pdepe/bvp4c solvers
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 11:51:47 -0800 (PST)

vlefkopo wrote
> Hello,
> I am Vasilis Lefkopoulos, and I'm interested in contributing to a project
> as part of GSoC 2017.
>
> I've studied the list of suggested projects [1] for GSoc 2017. I've also
> read the more general list of projects for Octave [2]. Specifically, I
> would be interested working on the "solver for initial-boundary value
> problems for parabolic-elliptic PDEs in 1D" [3] or/and the "solver for 1D
> nonlinear boundary value problems" [4].
>
> I would like to know:
> 1. What is the current status of these projects? I know that they're not
> as of yet implemented into Octave, and I also saw that they were
> implemented in the past but were taken down due to copyright issues with
> Matlab.
> 2. Are these projects suitable for my GSoC application (and potential
> 3-month full-time work)? If yes, is there a relevant mentor that could
> support me?
> 3. Is there any relevant short project that I can work on, to familiarize
> myself with these topics and also prove that I'm capable of committing to
> them? I've contributed to Octave Forge before, so I am familiar with the
> way contributions are made.

Dear Vasilis,

1. I am aware of several programmers who asked about these projects on the
mailing list but to my knowledge nothing has been finished. The last one was
laserluke. The thread can be found in the mailing list archive with subject
"Working on bvp4c". Does anyone knows what happened to this attempt?

2. Depends who is relevant for you :) I guess there are many developers
interested in that including Carlo, Nick, Bill and myself.

3. you could start by compiling https://github.com/wgreene310/bvp1d and
investigate whether this is a viable path. I would personally favour a
m-file implementation but we already have a dependency on Sundials.

Kind regards,
Sebastian