Re: GSoC 2017 - pdepe/bvp4c solvers

From: Bill Greene
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017 - pdepe/bvp4c solvers
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 13:03:16 -0500

I started writing the function I call bvp1d
(https://github.com/wgreene310/bvp1d)
to become familiar with the algorithm in the standard bvp4c paper and then
just kept adding to it. I believe it is a relatively complete implementation
of what is in the paper. I subsequently became aware that the bvp4c
implementation in MATLAB also supports a capability they call
"multipoint boundary value problems." The user interface to this functionality
seems very awkward and error prone to me; I had/have no interest in implementing
it. Even more fundamentally, I began to question the whole value of the
nodal collocation approach in bvp4c compared with a different approach based on
the weak form of the BVP, like FEM.

My real interest is in 1D pde solvers like pdepe and I have an implementation
that I call pde1d (https://github.com/wgreene310/pde1d). It uses a
linear approximation function compared with the higher-order approximation
in pdepe. But, beyond that, I think it is mostly compatible with pdepe.
I had intended to make the capability available through Octave forge but
the difficulty of configuring C++ packages there discouraged me. The
inclusion of Sundials/IDA in core Octave might make this easier but I have
not revisited the issue.