Re: Octave Forge: Package groups and properties defined, RFC.

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Octave Forge: Package groups and properties defined, RFC.
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 12:03:48 +0100

Le 09/03/2017 à 11:46, Juan Pablo Carbajal a écrit :
I strongly disagree, using "free" only keeps us stuck to the mis-interpretation. If you really want "free" to remind there (although I see no reason, even after RMR acknowledges the problem with the word "free") I woud go for Free/Libre software.

Sure, it is useful to make this clear for newcomers, possibly unfamiliar with the concept of free software.

One option is to use, as you suggest, a heavier _expression_ systematically (such as "Free/Libre" instead of "Free").

Another option would be to recall the distinction only once on each page that uses the concept.  Fore instance

Like Octave itself, the packages provided at Octave Forge are Free Software.

could be changed to

Like Octave itself, the packages provided at Octave Forge are Free Software (free as in "free speech", not as in "free beer").

(with a link still pointing to the FSF page explaining the concept in more detail).

I don't know...

@++
Julien