Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Improve logm, sqrtm, funm

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Improve logm, sqrtm, funm
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 19:00:35 +0000

> Hello Mudit,
 Hi Valliappan,

As I introduced my self earlier, I'm a final year student majoring Electronics & Instrumentation from BITS Pilani, India. I have strong coding skills and proficient in Matlab and C++.
I am looking forward to take part in GSOC 2017, and I'm interested to work on idea- improve logm, sqrtm, funm.
I have been looking into the code base. Can you help me with some reference material.

Here's a link to Prof Higham's work on matrix functions : http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~higham/papers/matrix-functions.php

I will start contributing to GNU-Octave soon, but it will be excellent if anyone can point out some issue just for start. Some pointers will be really helpful to start working on this module.
Lastly I apologize if I have been rude in any manner.

As a 'programming task' you can proceed with a small matrix function which is either missing or can be an improvement to the existing one in Octave.
--
Valliappan.C.A
BITS PILANI K K BIRLA GOA CAMPUS

Thanks!
Mudit

The matrix functions do need work, but the elementary functions that you mentioned might usefully be
done first. They are quite straightforward and the C++ library is suitable so only the interface code is
needed. The code for atanh can be used as an example.

Michael