Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Using Python within Octave

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: GSOC 2017 Idea Using Python within Octave
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 22:38:08 -0700

On 12/03/17 06:02 AM, Abhinav Tripathi wrote:
On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 2:29 PM, KOUSTAV DAS <address@hidden
    We all know that in a .php file we can write html and php code. They
    are just differentiated on the basis of tags. I propose to do just
    the same thing for python and octave. Let us integrate the compilers
    of python and Octave. As soon as the lexical analyzer notices the
    opening tag of the octave code the parser and the semantic analyzer
    of octave handles the section. And as soon as the lexical analyzer
    encounters the opening tag of the python the parser and semantic
    analyzer of python is called.

If you still want to go on with your idea, you will have to search for a
mentor who is interested in your idea...
Or clone pytave repo, try to use it in octave and see its current
functionality then come up with something to improve pytave.

Yes, +1. This is well-said. Thanks Abhinav and NVS for your comments on this thread.

I personally doubt there is much interest from current developers for building a brand new tool; I think most of us would rather improve existing tools (Pytave in this case).

Supporting calling both Python and Octave code within the same document might be do-able within Jupyter (apparently alreayd possible to mix R and Python within one notebook). But I don't see that as a very high priority for the Octave project. More important would be simply improving the Octave Kernel for Jupyter.

Colin