Re: package maintainers please choose a package group

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: package maintainers please choose a package group
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 09:34:09 -0700 (PDT)

Olaf Till-2 wrote
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 07:58:38AM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:
>> I am happy with other requirements but, as long as I am listed
>> as the maintainer, I unfortunately cannot accept the "pushing without
>> asking" part. Any chance you may be changing this rule?
>
> Maybe, but do you have an alternative suggestion? The one real need
> for this that I currently see is: sometimes package fixes may be
> provided by Octave, typically JWE, to make them work with a basic
> change in Octave. Previously, such fixes were just applied. To ask
> first, and to wait for all responses, is an additional maintenance
> effort.

To me that looks like just another good reason for pull requests rather than
"hard" pushes. No need to wait then for push consent from a package
maintainer.
AFAICS the (occasional) changes JWE made to OF packages relate to Octave's
dev branch, while many OF package maintainers try to keep their package
working with as much past stable releases of Octave as they reasonably can.

The exception I see would be more for administration, like general top level
Makefile changes, etc. I can see no issue there.

Anyway as regards rules we're not in a court room but in an OSS volunteer
project. I think all in all the requirements for community projects are
reasonable enough.

Philip