Interested in making the GUI a bit nicer; where do I start?

From: Chris Esposito
Subject: Interested in making the GUI a bit nicer; where do I start?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:50:00 +1100

Hi guys.
To cut a long story short, I'm interested in improving the GUI of Octave - specifically the plotting - but there are a lot of files in the source tarball and I am not sure where to start.

I've done some (Qt-based) GUI work in the past, including plots, but never contributed publicly to an open-source project and have no idea what bits I'd need to edit to change the plotter.

Is there anyone who'd be able to point me in the right direction - either to the relevant files or to a document explaining things?

Would love to give something back!

Cheers
~Chris