Re: Question about generate_html: indicate package version or not ?

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Question about generate_html: indicate package version or not ?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 08:51:38 -0700 (PDT)

Julien Bect-2 wrote
> Hi all,
>
> Currently the HTML doc produced by generate_html does not indicate the
> version of the package for which the doc was generated (except in
> index.html, of course).
>
> Example : https://octave.sourceforge.io/io/function/append_save.html
>
> I was thinking that it might be a good idea to indicate it on each page,
> either in a visible manner (at the bottom of the page, for instance) or
> at least as meta-data.
>
> Any thought on this ?
>
> @++
> Julien

I only started thinking about this after reading your email :-)

Isn't it obvious that the html docs refers to the current package release?
What purpose would a version indicator serve? or, IOW, what can go wrong
now?

Matlab has something like "present since version XXXXX" in its on-line docs
for functions.
Maybe maybe that could be handy as well for OF packages (but also a lot of
work; even more when considering that some functions have moved from one
package to another or were even duplicates, like deg2rad).

Philip