Re: buildbot test failures

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: buildbot test failures
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 10:37:04 -0400

On 03/16/2017 02:02 AM, Olaf Till wrote:
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 05:06:34PM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
And finally, the mxe-native-on-debian build is failing because the
of-database package configure script is failing with the following message:

  checking for PQconnectdb in -lpq... no
  configure: error: unable to find the PQconnectdb() function in pq

At this point the pg_config binary should already have been found, so
it seems you have postgresql installed. Postgresql normally comes with
libpq...

Olaf

but I think that's just a missing package problem on my build system, so
I'll fix that and try again.

Oh, I just realized that since this is an mxe-octave build, it's not a missing dependency problem that should be solved by installing something on the build system, but it's something that should be fixed in mxe-octave or the package configure script.

I see that the postgresql package has been installed by mxe-octave and that the database package configure script finds pg_config. But the -lpq library is not found, even though it is installed (in the mxe-octave usr/lib directory. The config.log file says

configure:3340: checking for PQconnectdb in -lpq
configure:3365: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lpq   >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpq

This build is using the system compiler which doesn't search the mxe-octave directories by default. So compiler flags like CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, FFLAGS, and LDFLAGS should really be set so that libraries compiled and installed by mxe-octave should be found instead of the ones installed in system directories.

I think it should be working for the next build that is attempted because I installed the libpq-dev package on that buildbot worker system, but that's not really the right fix.

To properly test this kind of build, I think we need to do it in a VM or on some other system that has a minimal set of development dependencies installed. I don't think it's anything that you need to fix in the database package.