Re: GSOC 17 - Octave - Reutilization of NNET on CNN Project

From: Francesco Faccio
Subject: Re: GSOC 17 - Octave - Reutilization of NNET on CNN Project
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 18:57:39 +0200

On 22 March 2017 at 16:21, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> Since Tensorflow exposes a C++ API it
> makes a whole lot of sense to me to use this approach rather than go
> through a longer path of Octave->Python->Tensorflow->Python->Octave.

I thought the same but was told that TensorFlow C++ API is not only
quite unstable, it also only provides the computational part.  The
interesting machine learning bits are only in Python.

Carnë
Hi Carnë,

I probably was wrong on that. It seems that in TensorFlow 1.0 the C++ API has been slightly extended [1] and now it supports also the training part.

By the way, the Python API has a lot more features, it's easier to use, better documented and it's stable. For a good student, learning how to use Pytave providing patches or fixing bugs if needed, can be a nice pre-GSoC work.

Francesco

[1]https://www.tensorflow.org/api_docs/cc/