Re: make check hangs in recent dev

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: make check hangs in recent dev
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 16:31:18 -0500

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Torsten <address@hidden> wrote:
On 09.04.2017 22:22, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Torsten <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     On 09.04.2017 21:00, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
>     > I noticed that after
>     > http://buildbot.octave.org:8010/changes/2871
>     <http://buildbot.octave.org:8010/changes/2871>
>     >
>     > make check hangs at the end (after all checks has passed)
>     > with octave process running with 100% CPU utilization.
>     > E.g.:
>     >
>     http://buildbot.octave.org:8010/builders/clang-fedora/builds/381/steps/test/logs/stdio
>     <http://buildbot.octave.org:8010/builders/clang-fedora/builds/381/steps/test/logs/stdio>
>     >
>     > (I verified it also on other machines).
>     >
>     > I took buildbot client off-line until this gets resolved.
>     >
>     > Dmitri.
>     > --
>     >
>     >
>
>     After the mentioned changeset, the cli version still works on my system.
>     It seems that my last changeset
>     http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2cee3976d88f
>     <http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2cee3976d88f>
>     broke the cli version.
>

> ​Perhaps the issue was intermittent. You can see on buildbot ​logs multiple
> failures during make check.
>
> http://buildbot.octave.org:8010/waterfall
>
> The default gcc compile seems to finished OK, but llvm and lto both hanged
> (I noticed 2 octaves running on my machine.)

Since I really don't know at the moment, where to look for the erroneous
side effect, I have backed out the last changeset. The cli version now
exits normally again on my system.

​On my computer it still hangs. And I suspect also on JWE​
Try to compile with clang.
It looks to me as some kind of racing condition that gets exposed by either different compiler or
different level of optimization.

Torsten

​Dmitri.