Re: ar: `u' modifier ignored during linking

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: ar: `u' modifier ignored during linking
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 09:36:04 -0700

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 18:53:24 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 04/14/2017 05:11 PM, Rik wrote:
> > 4/14/17
> >
> > I'm getting these annoying message every time a link is done during the
> > build process.
>
> Yes, I've been seeing them for quite some time now, since whenever Debian
> testing starting having bunutils built so that it generates the warning.
> I've been hoping that automake or gnulib would fix the problem for us
> eventually.  That seems like the right place for the fix rather than having
> every package that uses automake do something to silence the warning.

I got so used to them I actually thought I wasn't seeing them anymore
and this had been resolved.

AFAICT gnulib already has a fix for this, libtool is the holdout that
still hardcodes its own AR_FLAGS=cru. I see libtool's git has some
changes to start making AR_FLAGS obsolete.

To that end, try the attached patch, it works for me.

--
mike