Re: ar: `u' modifier ignored during linking

From: Rik
Subject: Re: ar: `u' modifier ignored during linking
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 10:31:30 -0700

On 04/14/2017 03:53 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 04/14/2017 05:11 PM, Rik wrote:
>> 4/14/17
>>
>> I'm getting these annoying message every time a link is done during the
>> build process.
>
> Yes, I've been seeing them for quite some time now, since whenever Debian
> testing starting having bunutils built so that it generates the warning.
> I've been hoping that automake or gnulib would fix the problem for us
> eventually.  That seems like the right place for the fix rather than
> having every package that uses automake do something to silence the warning.

I don't have much hope for them fixing this upstream anytime soon.  The
original problem was reported in 10/2014.  There are a now a lot of people
on the stable Debian/Ubuntu 16.04/Mint 18.XX code base who may not see an
update of autotools for 3-5 years.  That's a long time to have this
confusing warning hanging around.

Separately, I developed nearly the same patch as Mike M. to silence this
warning.  I checked it in here
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/b5ee9b985a82.

--Rik