Symbolic Math Package 2.5.0

From: evansste
Subject: Symbolic Math Package 2.5.0
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 15:42:12 -0700 (PDT)

I've recently learned that the "solve" function has been fixed in Octave's
latest symbolic math package; package 2.5.0.  This is according to the
following link:

https://octave.sourceforge.io/symbolic/NEWS.html

It's mentioned in the sixth bullet that "solve" now works with inequalities.

I tried using the solve function in order to solve an equation (not an
inequality), but it didn't work.  Before giving up, I wanted to verify if
it's everyone's current understanding that the symbolic package doesn't
solve equations.

When I type the following command, I get an error message stating that the
equals sign is an invalid constant.  Here's the command that I type:

solve(2 = x + 1,x)

The error message reads:
   invalid constant left hand side of assignment
>>> solve(2 = x +1,x)
                   ^

Am I doing something wrong, or is this function still broken?

According to the above link, I'm using the latest package.  If I type "pkg
list", it shows that symbolic 2.5.0 is installed.  Has anyone gotten the new
symbolic package to solve an equation?  All of the posts that I've been able
to find are old.  Just wanted to confirm before giving up.  Thanks.