Re: Coloring error and warning messages in the gui console

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Coloring error and warning messages in the gui console
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 01:33:24 -0500

On 05/10/2017 01:15 AM, Torsten wrote:
On 09.05.2017 22:01, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 05/09/2017 02:35 PM, Torsten wrote:
I am currently working on possible ways to color error and warning
messages in the gui console window. The unix based terminal offers
filters for highlighting matched "hotspots". Unfortunately, the elements
painted for highlighting lead to ugly artefacts when scrolling.
Consequently, this filter method is currently only used for underlining
clickable links (files for opening in the editor or urls) when the mouse
cursor is hovering over them.

For the text colors of error and warning messages I would like to insert
suitable escape sequences into the message strings as implemented in the
patch attached to comment #9 of bug #35619
(https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35619#comment9)
Before pushing this patch, I would like to know whether there are any
objections against changing one of octaves core files (error.cc) only
for "cosmetic" reasons.

Best,
Torsten

Thanks for asking Torsten.  I looked at the patch and I object to this
one on the basis that it implies the core code is doing something GUI
specific, i.e., assigning some color to the errors.  Is that something
that should be done?  I've been against inter-mixing GUI details into
core code from the start, for multiple reasons.  (I drafted a response
to one of Rik's emails a couple weeks back, but hadn't sent it... I will
follow up this email.)

The proper way to do this, as I see it, is for the core to allow some
routine to access the previous error(s), whether that is a function or
some type of script command.  (Unfortunately, there has always been
lacking the simple method of calling a script from the GUI and getting
an octave_value_list in return.)  That is, when there is an error, the
core should have a log of what happened (a unique error message or
classification) and the line number and file where it happened.  There
should also be a list of available error messages, for which the GUI can
assign the color scheme however it wants.  The steps would be:

1) GUI recognizes error occurred
2) GUI inquires what the error was
3) GUI cross references error message in the list of possible messages
4) GUI uses the index from the cross reference to look up color in its
own table

Dan

Dan, thank you for the reply. Just to clarify, the selection of the
color is done by the GUI depending on the user's settings. The core is
just interspersing esc-sequences for the GUI's terminal emulation into
the output stream depending on warning or error. This might later be
used for the cli-version, too, if the terminal emulation is known.

When I understand your approach correctly, the core would have to wait
during the four steps of the GUI before actually printing the message?
Wouldn't this have much more impact on the core? Or should the GUI
buffer the stream and search later for the appropriate positions for
changing color before printing?

Torsten

You're saying that the changes then are really not GUI-specific, but more generally the console. That is, when I run octave-cli, I should see errors and warnings in color in the shell console as well? I suppose that is more core/interpreter centric. Is there to be some script that can be used to configure the colors or turn them off from the command line? If so, then that is again core-centric. (Perfectly fine having configuration in the GUI somewhere--that ultimately calls said configuration script.)

I thought I read in the bug/feature discussion that one goal is to make clicking on the error message jump to the location of the code in the GUI editor. That is more GUI-related, unless the console can be set up to initiate such a jump via the core, say something like the "edit" routine. Is this something separate from the color idea? How is the GUI getting the information about the line number?

Dan