Re: betainc and other special functions in Octave

From: Michele
Subject: Re: betainc and other special functions in Octave
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 12:39:58 +0200

On 06/10/2017 10:47 AM, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

On 06/10/2017 02:42 AM, Rik wrote:
Is there a special functions Summer of Code project this year? I thought I
saw some e-mails on the list about that.

I'd like to point out bug #51157 (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?51157)
where the betainc calculations are inaccurate for some values. I did some
tracing and it comes down to the Fortran routines from Slatec that are
used. They were last updated in 1992, and apparently are not accurate out
to the 15th or 16th digit of precision.

As a quick test, I wrote a C program that uses the GNU Scientific Library
to calculate betainc and it does get the more precise answer. The GSL
might be a way to quickly get access to other high quality special function
code.

Just a thought,
Rik

It would be good to include bug #44310 with this.

Michael

Dear all,

I'm the guy working on the Special Functions project for GSoC. Thank you Rik for the hint! betainc was already in my to do list due to bug #34405 and I saw this new bug in the tracker. Maybe I will change my timeline since my idea was to dedicate a week to betainc, but this new problem make me think I will need more time. Regarding bug #44310, I think I can try to use the last part of the GSoC to work on it, but I have to discuss it with my mentors.

Michele