Re: Moving C++ in the direction of m-files

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Moving C++ in the direction of m-files
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:08:31 -0400

On 06/09/2017 04:25 PM, Rik wrote:

Coders who are moving from Octave's m-file language to writing .oct files,
or contributing to core Octave, face a huge learning curve.  It's not just
that the language, C++, is different, but without reading all of the header
files it is hard to know what functions are available.  Often there is an
analog in the Octave language that is available in C++, but because we use
different naming schemes it is again difficult to find these functions
short of reading the header files.  Some examples are is_empty and
is_cellstr which have analogs of isempty and iscellstr.  How would you feel
about renaming the obvious analogs to match the Octave language names?

I'd be OK with that.

While I've been looking at the symbol table code I've had similar questions about whether I should rename "scope" to "workspace", "top_level" to "base", etc. I haven't made those changes yet, but maybe I should? OTOH, the symbol table is not something that people writing .oct files should normally touch directly.