odd bug? gzip didn't terminate, kept certain octave files locked

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: odd bug? gzip didn't terminate, kept certain octave files locked
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 16:41:08 -0400

Octave 4.2.1 on Windows 7. Not sure if I can reproduce, wondered if
anyone has seen similar.

Ctrl-C'd a 'pkg update' after installing a fresh copy of v4.2.1 (zip
package) and it seemed to take an unusually long time on the video
package (20-30 minutes). As usual,  ctrl-c: nothing happens, 2nd
ctrl-c: "Press Control-C again to abort.", 3rd ctrl-c: Octave exits

Restarted octave. running 'help pkg' gave a handful of error messages,
same messages running help on any other function.  I don't have the
exact message (I know...), but one was "can't locate strict.pm".
Exiting and reopening Octave didn't fix it.  Finally I deleted the
Octave folder, and was told I couldn't delete a few files because they
were in use by gzip. Sure enough, gzip was idle in active process
list. killed that process, and the files were free to delete. Don't
know if that would have cleared 'help' errors. No issues (with help or
long pkg update) after reinstall.

I guess the question is, does it make sense that gzip wasn't killed on a CTRL-C?

nick j.