Re: Newer Versions of Octave Struggle with Character Strings

From: evansste
Subject: Re: Newer Versions of Octave Struggle with Character Strings
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 09:34:28 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, Mike.  I just installed Octave 4.2.1 (compiling it from source), and,
just as your solution suggested, I no longer have this issue with character
strings.  Thanks for that.

What I've noticed is that Octave now doesn't seem to make changes based on
my .octaverc file.  The .octaverc file is in my home directory.  Because the
.octaverc file is no longer working, I thought that compiling from source
may have caused Octave to look elsewhere for this file.  So I put a copy of
the file in the directory from which Octave was complied.  However, this
still didn't work.  Is this behavior normal?  Doesn't Octave always look in
the home directory?

I compiled Octave by strictly following the detailed procedure in the
following link:

https://www.scivision.co/compiling-octave-4-on-ubuntu/

Do you know why Octave isn't using my .octaverc file?  I'm using Lubuntu
16.04.

Thanks.