Re: octave dev slow down

From: jbect
Subject: Re: octave dev slow down
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 02:35:24 -0700 (PDT)

Michael Godfrey wrote
> Just a note: I did some cleanup on the code sections that I have been
> timing:
> Old code:
> 4.3.0+
> test 2: cputime used: 9.2e-01 seconds
>
> 4.0.3   /usr/bin/octave --no-gui
> test 2: cputime used: 6.4e-01 seconds
>
> New code:
> 4.3.0+
> test 2: cputime used: 5.1395e-01 seconds
>
> 4.0.3
> test 2: cputime used: 3.4943e-01 seconds
>
> Moral of this is that it pays to spend time on code cleanup.
> This more than offset the 4.3.0+ slowdown.
> Of course, 4.3.0+ is still slower by about the same amount.
>
> Michael

Hi everyone,

I also notice a similar a slow-down when benchmarking the stk_predict
function in the stk package.

Here are the median times in ms (the first two digits should be significant,
sorry about the others):

About the column names:
 * Oct403 is the 4.0.3 release from Debian repos
 * Oct421 is compiled from source from the tip of stable
 * Oct430 is compiled from source from the tip of default
 * (the first column... well, you can probably guess)

About the row names: correspond to various configurations for the size of
the input arguments.

Basically: when these numbers are large, we essentially benchmarking linear
algebra operations (I think).

The results can be reproduced as follows

hg clone -r 2.5.x http://hg.code.sf.net/p/kriging/hg stk-test
cd stk-test
octave &

stk_init