About special functions reogranization

From: Michele
Subject: About special functions reogranization
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 10:49:43 +0200

Dear all,
I'm Michele Ginesi, the student working on special functions for GSoC2017.
During the last period I saw on this mailing list some discussions about the reorganization of special functions in Octave. I saw there is the idea to use the standard math library of C++ or GSL library. Unfortunately, as I explained in the last post on my blog [1], I think it is not the case to fully substitute the old (but still the more accurate) Fortran code present in the Amos library. For example, for what concern Bessel functions, I would suggest to "unlock" the Amos, since the bug related to them [2] is caused by the fact that if the magnitude of the input is too large, the output is simply not computed (you can find more details on [1], as well as other thoughts relative to incomplete gamma and beta functions).
I hope you can give me some opinions and/or suggestions.
Thank you for your kind attention.

[1] http://gsocspecfun.blogspot.it/2017/07/gnu-scientific-library.html
[2] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=48316

--