Re: macro for building packages with different Octave versions

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: macro for building packages with different Octave versions
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 09:09:04 +0200

Le 17/07/2017 à 16:37, Olaf Till a écrit :
symbols in Octave sometimes change, requiring some consideration if
packages with C++ code should be compatible with several major Octave
versions.

Some time ago Carnë offered some tests for single deprecated symbols
in Octave.

My strategy has been not to test, but to use the deprecated symbols as
long as possible and then to switch to the new symbols. But this
strategy doesn't seem to work, since not all deprecated symbols are
available for more than one major Octave version.

Trying to simplify checking for and building with simple cases of
alternative Octave symbols, I made an autoconf macro which does the
more tedious part of the job. It probably should be made available at
the Octave Forge website. My programming of autoconf macros is not
very good, so I'd appreciate comments and improvements. The macro and
an example call are at:

https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?9410

The macro file contains a further explanation in the comment block
above the second macro.

Hi Olaf,

I fully support your initiative, because I think that supporting several major versions of Octave for as many OF packages as possible is important.

For instance, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (EOL April 2019) still has Octave 3.8.1 and Debian Jessie (EOL June 2018, LTS June 2020) has Octave 3.8.2.

I can't help you with the autoconf part, however, since my own experience with autoconf is very limited (a few hacks on the octave-gsl package, nothing more).

Concerning the diffusion of these macros, one idea would be to create a simple OF package that contains both the macros themselves and a few example oct-files with BISTs. This would make it easier to test that the macros are effectively working on a large range of Octave versions.

@++
Julien