Re: macro for building packages with different Octave versions

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: macro for building packages with different Octave versions
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 11:13:38 +0200

Le 19/07/2017 à 09:43, Olaf Till a écrit :
On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 09:09:04AM +0200, Julien Bect wrote:
Concerning the diffusion of these macros, one idea would be to create a
simple OF package that contains both the macros themselves and a few example
oct-files with BISTs.
This reminds me of JPs suggestion of creating a template package. Up
to now I didn't see what information could be in it except what is
already covered by the Octave manual and by the hint at OF to use the
maintainer Makefile. But the current issue could indeed be a "use
case" for a template package, and maybe there are more(?).

I was not thinking of it as a "template package" but, yes, now that you mention it, it could very well serve that purpose too.

Among its possible uses, here are a few I can think of :

* it could be a natural location to store the template MM (instead of the project-web repo ?) as you suggest,

* it could be a natural location to provide a minimal working example of a package (with DESCRIPTION, INDEX, a small manual, etc.),

* it could provide examples of "portable oct-file writing" (using your autoconf macros to support as many Octave versions as possible) with BISTs as proposed in my previous email,

* perhaps could it also contain simple examples of how new types can be added to Octave through oct-files,

* ...

BTW, since you mentioned Debian Jessie, Debian recently has made a new
stable release. But it has Octave-4.0, so your argument still applies.

I mentioned Jessie because it is far from having reached its end of life, and thus should not be considered an obsolete release.