Re: Support for N-dimensional arrays almost done

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Support for N-dimensional arrays almost done
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 03:22:09 +0200

On 28.07.2017 01:26, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
> On 27.07.2017 23:49, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I follow you here. You want to get rid of the test/*.tst
>>> files, where should the test be stored then? Is the goal to be able to
>>> use Octaves test-command to perform all tests (thus making it easy to
>>> test only one function)? ITF1788 will supply the testing data, where
>>> will we reshape the data, in ITF1788 or in the interval packages Makefile?
>>
>> I am currently working on this. I hope to finish migration this night.
>> You can have a peek in [6], I am going to push other functions later.
>> The test data will be stored in a .mat file. The tests are performed
>> during “test <functioname>”, which has to load its part of the test data
>> from the .mat file.
>>
>> Shaping the test data into the .mat file has already been implemented.
>> The testcases are stored as cell arrays. It is possible to either
>> iterate over the cell array (for scalar tests) or cat the cell array
>> (for vector tests). I have already prepared %!test blocks to do this.
>>
>> Your job would be to add one or more %!test blocks, which reshape the
>> data into ND arrays (you may discard some test cases to get correct
>> dimensions).
>>
>> [6]
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/interval/ci/f35e6c4964256c14b87d1aa315dd60a6ad38e52b/tree/inst/@infsup/plus.m#l80
>
> So far, I have only finished the bare interval tests, see revision
> d56e0d42c458. There are some failing vectorized tests, which I have
> marked as xtest.

I have completed my refactoring of the unit tests. I didn't add checks
for ND arrays. The following functions currently have issues when
evaluated on vectors:
overlap, nthroot, pow, pownrev, powrev2

Do you want to look into this? pownrev and nthroot don't support vectors
for all parameters yet.

I have partially updated the NEWS.texinfo file.  We have some
improvements that are not strictly backwards-compatible. And, given the
great new support for ND arrays, this is a good opportunity to raise the
major version.  Please add a few lines at the beginning of NEWS.texinfo
and advertise the results of your work.

Best
Oliver