Re: any impacts of adding this line to default .octaverc ?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: any impacts of adding this line to default .octaverc ?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 17:45:56 -0700

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 14:02:05 -0400, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> Thoughts on whether a patch adding
>
> if (exist(pkg("global_list"),"file") == 0)
>   try
>     pkg rebuild;
>   catch
>   end_try_catch
> endif
>
> to .octaverc should be something just limited to mxe-octave
> zip-distribution? all windows builds? Octave as a whole? or "that's a
> horrible idea come up with something better",  ?

At a minimum, "pkg rebuild" should be "pkg rebuild -global" to match the
test for the "global_list" file.

This should not be put into Octave's default octaverc. It could be added
to the zip distribution to act as a surrogate for a postinstall action,
but even that seems like an unfortunate hack.

If I were a user of the zip distribution, I wouldn't want it to have any
different configuration from an archive of the default package.

--
mike