Re: pending dataframe-1.2.0 release

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: pending dataframe-1.2.0 release
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:32:37 +0200

On 20.08.2017 17:15, Olaf Till wrote:
> The rest is ok for the release (though we didn't as yet discuss the
> 'Matlab oriented coding style' issue further).

IMO, a package should be allowed to maintain Matlab compatibility.  In
the end this can only be beneficial to the end user at a low cost.

If you wanted to have Matlab compatibility, but stick to Octave's syntax
/ coding style, that is quite an overhead during development.  For
example, look at the doctest package:  The doctest package uses Texinfo
documentation and has to convert all m-files to make a Matlab package.
If one additionally used Octave-only syntax, that would be quite an
effort to keep support for Matlab.

Oliver