Dropping octave.jar from the source distribution

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Dropping octave.jar from the source distribution
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 10:25:48 -0700

Hi,

Octave's Java system includes a JAR file of functions that are required
for converting types between Octave and Java.

Since Java was merged in, we have been distributing the JAR file along
with the source, presumably so that users don't have to compile the Java
bytecode and recreate the JAR themselves.

However, in reality, make always compiles the Java sources and rebuilds
the JAR archive, whether the file is distributed to users or not.

So in practical terms, distributing octave.jar with Octave's source
distribution is useless, and no one has reported any problems with
having to compile the sources and build the JAR archive themselves.

I think we should just stop distributing the JAR file, always rebuild
it, and remove the "-source 1.3 -target 1.3" options (see bug #51803).

Any objections?

--
mike