Re: pending interval-3.0.0 release

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: pending interval-3.0.0 release
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 20:47:22 +0200

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 11:00:41AM +0200, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
> I have now put the generated test data under version control and it is
> possible to run the package from source or make a release tarball
> without these special dependencies.

I know I'm delaying the release, but I don't think that putting a
generated file additionally to the sources under version control is a
good idea.

The issue I saw was not so much with the difficulty (installing some
tools) to reproduce the release.

Rather, we should assure that generating the distributed data from
source is always possible. Since we distribute the binary file
'itl.mat', we must distribute its 'preferred form' of editable
sources.

These sources could be the corresponding .tst files, which currently
are only temporary files during the build. But though they are
editable, it's their .itl sources which are meant to be edited. We
distribute these .itl sources. The problem with this is that the tool
for converting .itl to .tst is not in standard distributions (?), but
only in an external repo. I think if we distribute the .itl files, we
also must distribute the conversion tool (and not rely on its
availability in an external repo). I am not a lawyer, but as long as
we distribute the package with no commercial intent, it could suffice
to clone the external repo at Octave Forge and to put a hint into the
distributed package where the tool is available at Octave Forge.

BTW it could be good to checkout a certain version of the cloned repo
during building (if I havn't overlooked that this is already done).

Olaf