Re: pending interval-3.0.0 release

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: pending interval-3.0.0 release
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 09:37:39 -0700

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 17:57:30 +0200, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
> We are not even talking about software.  It's static data.  We are
> talking about the data format which you don't like.  A data format which
> is perfect for an Octave user (.mat).

Does the data change over time or is it pretty much a constant table of
data that might as well have been copied from a book?

FWIW, in previous projects where I have had to create or build large
test vectors, where the test data doesn't actually change at all or
often, I have usually written a script or set of comments to describe
how the data was generated, but commit the test vectors themselves to
version control to avoid having to regenerate the constant data on every
build. Also to avoid adding build dependencies on unrelated tools.

IMHO there is a legitimate trade-off between convenience and ability to
build something from its ultimate source.

--
mike