Re: Dropping octave.jar from the source distribution

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Dropping octave.jar from the source distribution
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 12:30:28 -0700 (PDT)

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> Hi,
>
> Octave's Java system includes a JAR file of functions that are required
> for converting types between Octave and Java.
>
> Since Java was merged in, we have been distributing the JAR file along
> with the source, presumably so that users don't have to compile the Java
> bytecode and recreate the JAR themselves.
>
> However, in reality, make always compiles the Java sources and rebuilds
> the JAR archive, whether the file is distributed to users or not.
>
> So in practical terms, distributing octave.jar with Octave's source
> distribution is useless, and no one has reported any problems with
> having to compile the sources and build the JAR archive themselves.
>
> I think we should just stop distributing the JAR file, always rebuild
> it, and remove the "-source 1.3 -target 1.3" options (see bug #51803).
>
> Any objections?

To build octave.jar a JDK is required. AFAIK the rest of the Java subsystem
(ov-java.cc etc) cannot be built if there's no JDK on the target system, so
there's no use to distribute a tiny part of octave's Java support (=
octave.jar) if the rest can't built anyway.

So as far as that reasoning goes, I see no real advantage to have octave.jar
in the source distribution.

Philip