Re: Doxygen style guide

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Doxygen style guide
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 08:25:16 -0400

On 09/22/2017 05:29 AM, siko1056 wrote:

In the wiki a new Doxygen style guide appeared [1].  Did I miss a discussion
about it, or is it just a recommended standard?  We don't have that much
comments at the moment, but recently I added some [2] that would totally
violate [1] ;-) The standard found first application in [3].

We had some discussion on IRC. Nothing is final, but it seemed a good idea to start defining some style guide as we have quite a mixture of styles currently.

Personally, I would add two items:

1. Only Markdown [4] and Doxygen commands [5] should be allowed, especially
not HTML (it just bloats up things with tags).

I agree with that.  Keep it simple.

2. No blank lines between the Doxygen comment and the function definition,
to make the assignment clear (if one blank line is above and below [3], it
is not that clear if it belongs to the following definition).

I know this is a matter of personal preference, but I like the blank lines around large blocks of comments. When there is no space, I think it can be harder to separate the code from the comments. OTOH, maybe that is less true now that most things that display code do some kind of syntax highlighting. OTTH, whether there is a blank line or not, Doxygen seems to know that these blocks of comments apply to the next function and it also seems fairly obvious to me.