Re: Doxygen style guide

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Doxygen style guide
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 09:28:06 -0700

On 09/22/2017 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
2. No blank lines between the Doxygen comment and the function definition,
to make the assignment clear (if one blank line is above and below [3], it
is not that clear if it belongs to the following definition).

I know this is a matter of personal preference, but I like the blank lines around large blocks of comments.  When there is no space, I think it can be harder to separate the code from the comments.  OTOH, maybe that is less true now that most things that display code do some kind of syntax highlighting.  OTTH, whether there is a blank line or not, Doxygen seems to know that these blocks of comments apply to the next function and it also seems fairly obvious to me.

Very easy to uncover a raft of different opinions here.  I like the line above, but not the line below.  For me, the line above is the same as would be present for any division between code blocks.  But if I a have a convention that a blank line creates divisions then I don't want such a division at the bottom of the line of comments.  Instead, I want the comments cuddled with the code to which they apply.

Also, I never have any practical problem distinguishing code from comments because, even super old school text interfaces like Vim, have syntax highlighting;  The comments are in one color and the code is in another, done.

--Rik