Re: heads-up on MacOS X & Java

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: heads-up on MacOS X & Java
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 22:35:32 +0200

> The patch doesn’t apply for me. Perhaps because there is no context info and
> confgure.ac has changed since you attached it.

Currently java on macOS is differently handled than on other platforms. This
was necessary in former times but now it's rather harmful. My patch just
disables this if statement.

You can manually change in file "libinterp/octave-value/ov-java.cc" the line
"#if ! defined (__APPLE__) && ! defined (__MACH__)" into "#if 1". Additionally
the statement "-framework JavaVM" must be removed from "configure.ac".

> Is there a convenient test for Java?

just calling "javaclasspath" should tell you whether it works. I recommend
uninstalling Java 1.6 before these tests to actually see whether it works.

Sebastian