Re: Making more of Doxygen

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Making more of Doxygen
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 12:17:12 -0400

On 10/20/2017 11:11 AM, siko1056 wrote:
Looking jealously at the Doxygen documentation of the Eigen [1] matrix
library, I figured out, that two options have to be changed to get that (in
my opinion) nice Doxygen tree view for Octave as well and for free, see [2].
These options are [3]:

DISABLE_INDEX = YES
GENERATE_TREEVIEW = YES

This change seems good to me.

In addition to that tree view, I want to include some "developer pages"
explaining some C++ internals I have figured out so far.

OK.

A "problem" (to me it is less a problem, but more a change, that I want to
discuss beforehand) for the last item is:

- "README" and "etc/HACKING" have to be Markdown files, e.g.  "README.md"
and "etc/HACKING.md", that is often seen in other projects as well.  Those
who know Markdown, this leaves the documents in a very readable state
without any processing.  Unlike Texinfo, or LaTeX files, that really need
processing before being able to read them.  The Doxygen landing page [5] is
actually this barely modified "README" file (maybe jwe knew Markdown before
it became mainstream? ;-) ).

Nope, but the syntax used by outline mode is kind of like markdown, I guess.

Any objections?

It seems OK to me. If no one else objects, I propose the attached changeset to rename README and etc/HACKING. I'll leave it to you to actually make the files use markdown syntax correctly.