Re: mxe-octave status

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: mxe-octave status
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 22:28:20 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 10/20/2017 02:06 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

Did you
use --disable-system-opengl when configuring mxe-octave?

No.

Do you have
opengl32.dll in the bin directory alongside octave-gui.exe?

No.

You have to configure with --disable-system-opengl to build and use the
mesa version of the opengl32.dll library.

Ah, I see I misunderstood; you mean that mesa version provokes a segfault.
(Sorry for not following the whole issue in detail - which relates to not having hit the issue with older system opengl32.dll libs yet.)

If I configure & build with --disable-system-opengl, install & then remove opengl32.dll from the mxe-octave/bin/ subdir, would Octave fall back to the system version in C:\Windows\system32 ? or is the mxe-octave version statically linked to graphics libraries?
I'll just try it out this weekend.

<snip>
I tried an mxe-octave qt5 binary from Sep. 2 (fully up-to-date at that
time) on my work PC and there plotting and _opengl_info__ provoked no
crash. So the changes provoking the crash must be from after that date.
(I think __opengl_info__'s output indicate software rendering? I saw
"Microsoft GDI" and version 1.1.0 in its output and only 2 or 3 struct
fields)

There was a recent change to use QOpenGLWidget instead of the deprecated
QGLWidget.  Maybe that's the reason for the crash.  It improved things
for me on GNU systems, but maybe there is a problem with Windows
systems, or maybe we are not using it properly.

(On this web page:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/windows-requirements.html
under "Dynamically Loading Graphics Drivers" I saw something about dynamically loading opengl implementations. Would that be of any help here?)

Philip