Re: Bootstrapping from a non-checked-out distribution is risky

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping from a non-checked-out distribution is risky
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 04:12:07 -0700 (MST)

PhilipNienhuis wrote
> John W. Eaton wrote
>> On 10/21/2017 06:48 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
>>> It looks like after
>>>
>>> Change #3670
>>> Category     None
>>> Changed by     John W. Eaton <
>
>> jwe@
>
>>  <mailto:
>
>> jwe@
>

>>> Changed at     Fri 20 Oct 2017 16:11:58
>>> Repository http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave
>>> Project     octave
>>> Branch     default
>>> Revision     312c00dd723af2a467045b2cbbc920e74d31d083
>>>
>>> bootstrap is not working.
>>>
>>> I get message
>>>

>>> ./bootstrap: Bootstrapping from a non-checked-out distribution is risky.
>>>
>>> buildbots are not happy either:
>>>
>>> http://buildbot.octave.org:8010/waterfall
>>
>> Oops.  This change should fix it:
>>
>>    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ef59a196c155
>>
>> jwe
>
> I think one more fix is required.
> When doing "make all dist" I now get:
>
> cp: cannot stat '../dev_p/README': No such file or directory
> Makefile:26632: recipe for target 'distdir' failed
> make[1]: *** [distdir] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/philip/devel/octdev/oct430+_p'
> Makefile:26732: recipe for target 'dist' failed

Dear Philip,

On my machine, I observed the same problem.  It is a documented "feature"
(bad hard-coded design in my opinion), that each automake generated package
has to have literally: "INSTALL, NEWS, README, AUTHORS, and ChangeLog, plus
one of COPYING.LIB, COPYING.LESSER or COPYING" [1].  There is nothing you
can do, no matter how hard you try, despite of postprocessing the output of
Makefile.in or generating a literal README file [2] from README.md (I thinkt
the guys in [2] did not try `make dist`.

My suggestion is:

1. Leave etc/HACKING.md as is (it is no requirement of automake to have
one).
2. Rename README.md (with its Markdown syntax) back to README.
3. Create for doxygen a symbolic link, called "doc/doxygen/README.md" to
README to fool doxygen about the missing extension.

This changed only happened because of my attempt to create a more useful
doxygen documentation [3,4].

Kai

[1]: https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Gnits.html
[2]: