Re: Bootstrapping from a non-checked-out distribution is risky

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping from a non-checked-out distribution is risky
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 07:34:53 -0700 (MST)

John W. Eaton wrote
>> On my machine, I observed the same problem.  It is a documented "feature"
>> (bad hard-coded design in my opinion),
>
> OTOH, consistency can be a good thing when looking at a new project.

I fully agree with you.

John W. Eaton wrote
>> 2. Rename README.md (with its Markdown syntax) back to README.

This should happen soon, as I am afraid to have broken many peoples workflow
by this :(

John W. Eaton wrote
>> 3. Create for doxygen a symbolic link, called "doc/doxygen/README.md" to
>> README to fool doxygen about the missing extension.
>
> Do you mean to have a symbolic link in the hg archive?  How does that
> work for someone who checks out the sources on a Windows system?

Ah no, I would never store a symbolic link inside a repository.  My first
idea was to generate this link on building the Doxygen documentation, but
maybe it is superior, to create a renamed copy of README.  The last thing I
want was to create more unmaintainded and duplicate documentation and I am
very convinced, that the content of README and etc/HACKING is a good
starting point when digging into the development of Octave.

John W. Eaton wrote
> Does the name of a markdown file have to end in ".md"?  Maybe that's
> also a bad design decision.  ;-)

I don't like the Windows 8.3 convention either. On the other hand, the idea
of an hint (suffix or MIME type) for interpretation makes sense for me.
".markdown" might be more intuitive, also ".text" or ".plaintext" instead of
".txt".  But I am afraid, that I will not change this, so I am sure not
change the conventions autotools myself ^^

Kai