Converting from SVG for some printed output

From: Pantxo Diribarne
Subject: Converting from SVG for some printed output
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 13:34:57 +0100

Hi,

Our OpenGL printing work flow is currently mostly based on the conversion of EPS files generated by GL2PS into other formats through the use of Ghostscript (for raster formats and pdf) and pstoedit/fig2dev for other vector formats such as xfig, emf ... The only exceptions are pdflatex(standalone), which directly makes use of GL2PS native pdf format, and svg. See attached file for a summary.

This conversion chain inherits all the limitations of the original EPS file:

* Only 127 ascii characters are supported

* Only the 14 base fonts can be used

* Transparency is not handled at all

On the other hand we have a pretty full-featured SVG output. I thus wrote a Qt based program that converts SVG from GL2PS (it is in no way a general purpose svg converter, see http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?52193) to PDF, and I would like to know if there is interest in adding this program to Octave?

My idea would be to replace the EPS->Ghostscript chain to SVG->PDF->Ghostscript for the following final formats: any Ghostscript raster format (jpg, png, pbm, ...) and pdf (go through Ghostscript to setup the surrounding page). For "pdfwrite" (no surrounding page) we would simply use SVG->PDF conversion.

Pantxo