Re: [octave forge] new external package

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: [octave forge] new external package
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 23:05:05 +0100

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Julien Bect
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Le 01/09/2017 à 18:53, Juan Pablo Carbajal a écrit :
>>>
>>> As I understand it, if you add something to the original files, you
>>> deviate from your stated strategy to keep two-way-synchronized with
>>> the original package of the creator. Maybe you can keep it
>>> one-way-synchronized, generating your repository from the original by
>>> scripts. If you do this, it could be worth considering (for the
>>> future) to let the scripts also generate more Octave-like files.
>>>
>> Yes, this will be the case. I have to do this anyways to add demos, so
>> maybe I can start with the license.
>> We already have a perl script by Carne to add licenses automatically
>> so I will use it.
>>
>>> It's possibly not strictly necessary, but have you contacted the
>>> original author?
>>>
>> Yes, I am in contact with him. He doesn't want to add the headers
>> because the package grows unnecessarily (in his opinion)
>

> Hi JPi, Olaf,
>
> Any news concerning the release of gpml as an Octave package ?
>
> @++
> Julien
>

> PS: I was just looking at this :
>
> https://rviews.rstudio.com/2017/11/22/october-2017-new-packages/
> https://rviews.rstudio.com/2017/10/25/september-17-top-40-packages/
>
> and feeling a bit jealous when comparing with OF...

Hi Julien,

You can't compare the size of the dev community of R and
Octave...orders of magnitude different.

I am trying to fulfill Olaf's request on headers, etc.. but I do not
have the time to do it quickly.
The package works, you could try, that would help also. Get it from here[1]

I also need to make a new release of geometry and statistics, the
former is suffering a problem when unloading.

Cheers

[1] https://bitbucket.org/KaKiLa/gpml