Re: Windows GUI startup message truncated

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Windows GUI startup message truncated
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 16:45:56 -0500

On 11/29/2017 04:24 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

What happens when switching back and forth between the various tabs just after launch?  See if the full contents of "Command Window" comes back with a redraw.

It doesn't appear to be a redraw issue.

Also, you could close the File Browser, Workspace and Command History windows, exit and relaunch to see if the missing section is part of the Command Window or the main window (i.e., does the width of the visible portion change with window size changes?).

Ah. If I have more than one tab open in the part of the GUI that normally displays the command, editor, documentation, and variable editor widgets when Octave starts, the message is truncated. I'm not sure that this is relevant, but it appears to be truncated to approximately the width of the GUI tab thing that is used for switching between the widgets. If only the command window is visible when Octave starts, then no "switcher tab" is displayed and the message is not truncated. I wonder if somehow the initial width of the widget is set to the width of the tab and that is used when the interpreter is starting and displaying the message. Hmm.