Re: mkoctfile std=c++11 default?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: mkoctfile std=c++11 default?
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 18:11:55 -0800

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 02:04:47 +0100, JuanPi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last week I gave an Octave course[1] and  had some troubles when
> trying to compile simple .oct files. The issue was due to the
> institution running with an old gcc, to which std=c++11 needed to be
> passed.
>
> Shouldn't mkoctfile set the std=c++11 option by default? If there is a
> reason why not to do this, could you enlighten me?

It does do so.

If I build Octave on Debian unstable with GCC 7, the default is already
-std=gnu++14, so no options are needed.

If I build Octave on Ubuntu 14.04 with GCC 4.8, the option -std=gnu++11
is added to the build options and is also included in mkoctfile by
default.

It's possible that this particular copy of Octave was built with GCC 6
or 7, but is now running on a system that has GCC 4 by default. That
would be a problem.

--
mike