Re: Undetected JRE

From: Bradley Kennedy
Subject: Re: Undetected JRE
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 23:47:59 -0500

On 2017-12-16, at 23:43, Daryl Lee <address@hidden> wrote:

Today I had yet another occasion to build up a Windows workstation from scratch.  When I got to the step of installing Octave (4.2.1) the installer told me it couldn't fine a Java JRE, even though I have Java 9.0.1 installed, as evidenced by the output of

> java -version

Is that anything for me to worry about?  At first glance, it looks normal (working GUI, working plots).

--
Daryl Lee

Hi there Daryl,

There should be (mostly) no issue. We ran Octave 4.2.1 on super computers for months without Java due to a broken link. You obviously however, can’t use Java based components.

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.2.1/Java-Interface.html#Java-Interface

I had a patch made at one point to let you change the Java directory at run time (rather now it is set at compile time afaik) but I don’t think anyone was interested in it.

Bradley Kennedy