Re: Octave Roadmap

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave Roadmap
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 11:32:42 -0800

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 14:04:01 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> I suppose it's possible, but it seems unlikely to me.  I'll post separately
> about what I'm hoping to see in the next release.

Yeah, that seems very unlikely to me as well.

> It seems unfortunate to me that there is not some better mechanism for
> updates of non-critical (in the sense that they aren't core operating system
> components) applications.

The PPA that I maintain is supposed to help with that. Flatpak apps, or
Ubuntu's own Snap apps, are intended to allow for individual
applications to be updated on a LTS distribution.

With Octave 4.4 we will definitely have a Flatpak application available,
and someone might package it for Snap as well. Both of those should be
viable solutions for Ubuntu 18.04 users.

--
mike