Re: 4.4 release plans

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: 4.4 release plans
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 12:44:33 -0700 (MST)

John W. Eaton wrote
> My list of items for 4.4 is
>
>    * Make the variable editor feature of the GUI work properly,
> including for structures and cell arrays.  This may require some changes
> in the way we communicate between the GUI and the interpreter.

Character arrays (strings as well as 2D arrays) are shown as one character
in a cell. For strings that is quite clumsy (IMO).

What about "general" objects? (Java, classdef, COM, ...). Currently the
variable editor crashes on Java objects. I thought of making openvar() (or
its siblings) to only accept those classes / types that the variable editor
knows how to show, but I lack the C++ skills to make that happen.

>    * Fix bugs that are marked as blockers.  There are currently 2.
>
>    * Fix (as much as possible) any bugs that are marked as regressions
> since the 4.2.x release series.  I suspect that this is a fairly large
> task as I count about 20 bugs in Octave that are tagged this way.
>
> Other than those items, it would be nice to also fix as many of the bugs
> that are marked as important.

Would you still like spreadsheet I/O (xlsread, xlswrite) in core Octave?
I've been working on that and Markus Muetzel wants to help. xmlread and
xmlwrite would probably come with it.
It would require some discussion on this ML, I think, as there are some
complicated choices involved.

A personal favorite of me is ability to read & write classdef objects
from/to .mat files.

Philip