Re: Release 4.4.0 and statistics package

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Release 4.4.0 and statistics package
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 12:02:28 +0100

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 03:46:41PM -0800, Rik wrote:
> On 12/27/2017 02:38 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> > On 12/27/2017 11:35 AM, Rik wrote:
> >
> >> One of the items in the Release Checklist is to incorporate GSOC project
> >> code and patches which look good from the patch tracker.  It is best to
> >> do that early as that will de-stabilize things for a while and we want
> >> to get some testing on the new code before sending it out in to the world.
> >
> > I will try to make a 4.2.2 release ASAP.
> >
> > I'm afraid that if we incorporate GSoC code and the spreadsheet functions
> > from the I/O package now, then we will not have a new release for at
> > least another 6 months, probably even longer.
> >
> > Rather than falling into the trap of trying to include and fix everything
> > before the next release I would prefer to move in the direction of more
> > frequent releases with major new features only being added near the
> > beginning of a release cycle.  So I propose that we not add any large new
> > chunks of code at this time but focus on fixing what we can for a 4.4.0
> > release by the end of February.
> >
> > jwe
>
> Arno,
>
> You are listed as the package maintainer for the statistics package.  I'm
> not sure if you are subscribed to the Octave Maintainer's list, but a
> significant new 4.4.0 release is expected early next year (see quoted
> e-mail above).  As part of that release, a lot of the statistics functions
> are set to be removed from core Octave and transitioned to the statistics
> package.  How can this be coordinated?
>
> The base problem being addressed is that many of the functions, for example
> kolmogorov_smirnov_test_2.m, are not of sufficient general utility to be
> included in the core, but are still useful to practitioners of statistics.
>
> Cheers,
> Rik

Is there a list of these functions, or can you make one?

ML statistics toolbox has 'kstest' and 'kstest2', the latter probably
corresponding to the above 'kolmogorov_smirnov_test_2'. Is 'kstest'
of more general utility than 'kstest2'? How does the fact that there
is an ML-pendant in the statistics toolbox influence your decision to
move the code from Octave to Octave Forge? If it is moved, should we
rename the functions to their ML name, if appropriate?

Olaf