Re: Matlab-compatible string class

From: ederag
Subject: Re: Matlab-compatible string class
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 19:28:56 +0100

On Sunday, December 31, 2017 09:06:43 John W. Eaton wrote:
> > Let's say that r"" mean raw string in octave too.
>
> If you want this in Octave, then it has to be the other way around.
>
> "" is compatible with Matlab, always.
>
> i"" or e"" or something means "interpolated escape sequences in this
> string".

Forgetting about backward compatibility,
this would be an interesting addition.

> > One way to maintain octave's nice behavior while allowing
> > to use or distribute packages compatible with matlab
> > would be a way to declare _files_ as "matlab braindead".
> > The "pkg load" or initialization script would perform the declaration.
> > Especially for pkg load, this would be deterministic and transparent to the
> > user.
> >
> > Instead of braindead, borrowing Dan's suggestion, it could be
> > interpconfig({files}, '-defaultStringType', 'escape');
> >
> > For these marked files, "" would be interpreted as r"" strings.
> >
> > Since it affects only the interpretation of a file,
> > it seems safer and easier to maintain
> > than the old global --braindead that is definitely discarded.
>
> No, we are not doing any of that.  Sorry, but as I said, we've been down
> that path before and we are not doing it again.  Do I have to throw in a
> "this is non-negotiable"?  :-)

Of course no need to :-)
Although I sometimes wish octave would be freer from matlab,
it was simple feedback.

After searching for posts about "braindead",
it just seemed an idea on the verge of being interesting.
And sufficiently distinct from the --braindead
to be exposed and probably discarded.
The proposition was more shallow:
only the file processed,
no propagation inside any called function for instance.

Now this too has been clearly discarded,
and again, I can see why.
Thanks for the clarification.

Ederag