Re: Minimum Texinfo version for creating the documentation

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Minimum Texinfo version for creating the documentation
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 15:26:02 -0600

On 01/04/2018 01:48 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 09:26:16 -0800, Rik wrote:
Currently the minimum Texinfo version required for creating the Octave
manual is something ancient like 4.13.  Recent changesets use features from
5.0 (Feb. 2013) and 6.1 (Feb. 2016).  These really improve the appearance
of the manual, but aren't necessarily available on ancient systems.  Given
that Octave creates the manual and distributes it in the tarball, is it
okay to bump up the required Texinfo to 6.1?  Developers on older systems
can use '--disable-docs' to concentrate on just the Octave core, or they
can compile and install newer versions of Texinfo.

It would be helpful to continue to support Texinfo 5.2 at a minimum for
now (Debian 8.0 and Ubuntu 14.04).

The easiest thing would be to put conditional statements around the command that controls the code

@ifWISHTHEREWEREVERSIONING
@codequoteundirected on
@end

and to define sortas() to be nothing

@ifWISHTHEREWEREVERSIONING
@macro sortas{param1}
@end macro
@end

https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/_0040ifset-_0040ifclear.html#g_t_0040ifset-_0040ifclear

https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/Defining-Macros.html#Defining-Macros

and those using old Texinfo will simply lose out. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a means of getting the Texinfo version internal to Texinfo itself (I was unfamiliar with Texinfo up until a week ago).

So, we could somehow create and inject some definitions into the Texinfo configuration at the "configure" stage. That is, we can get version from

"
linux@ ~ $ texi2dvi --version
texi2dvi (GNU Texinfo 6.1) 6991

"

and based on the version number somehow add

@set NO_SORTAS_SUPPORT
@set HAVE_CODEQUOTEUNDIRECTED

to one of the Texinfo files. (Should be an easy thing to append to the end of some file via some shell script like "cat".)

Then if in the Texinfo macro file we condition with

@ifset HAVE_CODEQUOTEUNDIRECTED
@codequoteundirected on
@end

@ifset NO_SORTAS_SUPPORT