Re: Minimum Texinfo version for creating the documentation

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Minimum Texinfo version for creating the documentation
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 16:26:26 -0600

On 01/04/2018 04:01 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 16:33:19 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
If we decide to do something like this, then in the name of autoconf and all
that is good, could we please do it using feature tests instead of a version
number?

+1

Can someone describe exactly what features of Texinfo 5 or 6 we are
using that won't work with an older version of Texinfo 4?

If we are only talking about the existence of the macros
@codequoteundirected and @sortas, those are defined in the texinfo.tex
file which we inherit from gnulib, so there might not be a problem at
all.

Those are the only two.  See

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?52775#comment3

It must be that the builder's system is recognizing some older version of Texinfo ahead of what is in gnulib. Perhaps that is a build bug.

Per JWE's idea, the following seems a minimal script example (first is a valid macro name, second not):

linux@ ~/octave $ (echo "\input texinfo" && echo "@cindex @sortas{test} ing" && echo "@bye") > testtexinfo.texi; texi2dvi --quiet testtexinfo.texi linux@ ~/octave $ (echo "\input texinfo" && echo "@cindex @snortas{test} ing" && echo "@bye") > testtexinfo.texi; texi2dvi --quiet testtexinfo.texi
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: etex exited with bad status, quitting.

I tried not needing the intermediate file, but it seems that texi2dvi needs the name to verify the .texi extension.

Dan