Re: Segfaults during production of documentation

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Segfaults during production of documentation
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 22:43:57 -0600

On 01/07/2018 08:14 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 7:11 PM, Rik <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Just an FYI, I've been seeing the occasional segfault during the
    production
    of the documentation.

       GEN      doc/interpreter/interpft.pdf
    fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
    octave exited with signal 11
       GEN      doc/interpreter/interpn.pdf

    The actual file that causes the problem varies, but I'm pretty sure
    it is
    always a pdf.  It seems to have started in the last week or so.

​I have noticed those too...​

You've run without the -jX option of make? The make process can be deceiving when there is an error and -j8 option.

Anyway, I suspect this is a figure generation problem. The file interpft.pdf is a figure, not a bigger document. That pdf-print is using Mesa on your system? (I.e., first creates an EPS file that is used to create the PDF file? On my system the EPS is just prior to the PDF:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14496 Dec 29 18:16 interpft.eps
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  5686 Dec 29 18:17 interpft.pdf

so I'm guessing that's how it works.) This looks like the long-standing occasional-crash-during-print issue of yester-year.

I noticed recently when reviewing this bug report:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?52781#comment3

that rescaling of the Qt and FLTK windows (i.e., drag the lower-right corner around via mouse) looks very poor, flashing between white and black backgrounds. It's supposed to be white background all the time, but I'm recalling that flashing black background a trait similar to the bug I noted above--just a vague memory at this point. How does the rescaling of Qt and FLTK figures look for you?

Dan