Re: Getting gprof or oprof to work on recent versions of Octave (was Re:

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: Getting gprof or oprof to work on recent versions of Octave (was Re: Question)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 09:28:20 +0100

Am 11.07.2016 um 13:22 schrieb Julien Bect:
> Le 08/07/2016 à 07:49, LachlanA a écrit :
>> * Figure out how to profile the executable.  This may be by figuring out
>> what settings oprofile needs, by forming a cut-down version of Octave
>> that
>> gprof can work with, or if necessary putting explicit timing code in
>> frequently-called functions.
>
> Yes, figuring out how to profile Octave would be a first step towards
> trying to reduce the runtime on simple examples such as those used in
> the Julia benchmark.
>
> This has been discussed a few times on the mailing list, and it didn't
> seem easy back then.  Here are a few relevant nabble threads:
>
> -----
>
> June 2014 : me asking for help to build static version of Octave
> instrumented with gprof ; no one answered
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/For-loop-benchmarks-between-Octave-versions-tp4664522p4665042.html
>
> (I am giving a link to the end of the discussion where gprof is
> mentioned, but the whole thread is about performance and the Julia
> benchmark)
>
> May 2013 : Daniel Kraft asked for advice about using gprof ; Jordi said
> that he had never managed to get gprof to work with Octave ; suggests
> oprof instead
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Profiling-C-code-in-oct-files-tp4652745.html
>

> March 2013 : Júlio Hoffimann managed to get OProfile working (but not
> gprof) ; nobody answered on the mailing list
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Profiling-GNU-Octave-tp4650637.html
>
> February 2009 : apparently, building a static version of Octave was
> necessary at the time to get gprof to work
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/profiling-Octave-td1634535.html
>
> -----
>
> These discussions are rather old.  And I could find anything more on the
> wiki.
>
> Did I miss something ?  Does anyone have working recipes to use gprof or
> oprof on recent versions of Octave ?

I was able to compile current default, 4.2.1 and 4.0.3 with

../octave-src/configure CFLAGS=-pg -no-pie -O2 CXXFLAGS=-pg -no-pie -O2
--disable-java --disable-docs --without-qt --without-fftw3
--without-fltk --enable-static --disable-dl --disable-shared --no-create
--no-recursion

You can see output here:

https://josoansi.de/files/octave-4.3.0.gprof
https://josoansi.de/files/octave-4.2.1.gprof